Tuesday, August 14, 2007

My Booba

There was a strong thunderstorm south of Phoenix last night. It was right on top of Casa Grande and moving west. The weatherman on the late night news wasn’t expecting the storm to move into the metro Phoenix area. He said, at most, Queen Creek may get a few sprinkles. The storm was about an hour away of where we live.

Well, this storm had other ideas and was determined to prove the forecasters wrong.

It started to thunder around 10:30. Not too loud, just some gentle rolling thunder. My daughter had already been in bed for a while, so I wasn’t worried that the thunder would wake her up. Once that kid’s asleep, she’s out for the night. Around 11:30 the thunder got a little louder and the lightening made the night seem like day. Then the thunder got LOUD. This storm meant business. Luckily, my daughter was still asleep. By now it was 12:30.

All of a sudden, there was an incredibly bright flash of lightening that illuminated my entire room, immediately followed by a very large, very loud, very frightening clap of thunder. Fifteen seconds later, I heard the pitter patter of my daughter’s feet. She climbed into bed with me and snuggled close. There were a couple more loud thunderclaps. With each clap, she cuddled closer. After a while, I noticed that her breathing had become regular and the thunder was no longer making her tremble. She had fallen asleep with her head on my chest and my arms around her, holding her close...keeping her safe from harm.

I started to cry. Not because I missed my “baby” or because I knew in a few short years she would be an adult and I would no longer be able to hold her like this. But for all the parents whose children were taken from them too soon; and for all the children who have never had a parent hold them close to keep them safe from the thunder.

My daughter slept for an hour before she rolled over and realized where she was. By that time the storm had passed and she was brave enough to go back to her own bed. After she left I laid there and was keenly aware that I could still feel the warmth from her head on my chest. I thanked God right at that moment, with all the humility in my heart, for blessing me with a child. And not just any child, but with her. I am a better person for just having known her and my life is full because of her.

No comments: