Sunday, October 7, 2007

For Once, I Was Speechless

I love this time of year. Love it, love it, love it. It's not a bazillion degrees outside and so I'm able to spend more time outside. Just yesterday, I pulled out my Halloween decorations. Next to Christmas, this is my favorite holiday to decorate my house.

Currently, my house is overrun with pumpkins, ghosts, vampires, bats and black cats. No spooky spiders, though. Y'all know how I feel about bugs.

Any way, I was having the most craptastic day and decided to cheer myself up by turning my house into The Haunted Mansion. Well, apartment. I was busy making my home look completely terrifying (which is how I described the way it looked after my annivorce-ary party) when there was a knock at my door.

It was my downstairs neighbor. She said, "I'm sorry to bother you. But I've been meaning to come talk to you for a while now."

Shit. What the hell have I done now? Music too loud? Too much stomping? Shit.

"I just wanted to let you know how much I enjoy your holiday decorations. I get excited at this time every year because I know you're going to have something on your door and windows. It warms my heart to know that someone cares enough to celebrate the season."

Say what?

At this point she looked around behind me an noticed my daughter, "You know you're very lucky to have a mom who cares about making things special for you."

I was crying like an idiot at this point. I invited her in for some coffee, but she declined. She just wanted to make sure she spoke to me before she forgot, again.

The point of me sharing this is this; no matter how small you may feel, you may be making the world a better place for someone you don't even know.

She is now on my list for Christmas cookies. I hope she likes them. Because they will have been made with the same love and dedication that it took to decorate.

No comments: