Monday, December 10, 2007

Lockdown

My Monday didn't start well. As I was putting mousse in my hair I heard glass shatter in the kitchen. I ran in there to see what had broke (picture it ~ me in my bathrobe with white stuff all over my head. I probably looked like my hair had rabies). I found my daughter standing in front of the fridge. Milk in one hand, bottle of beer all over the floor. She was frozen in place ~ kind of like a deer in headlights. I cleaned up the mess and then went to clean up the mess that was my hair. My hair was as sticky as the kitchen floor. ick.

Around 10:00 my friend found me in the hallway to let me know that my daughter's school was under lockdown. Someone had brought a gun to school. My heart sank and I couldn't make it back to my desk fast enough. I immediately checked my cell phone.

My daughter had sent me a text message to let me know she was okay and safe in her classroom. This is the third time she's been in school during a lock down. The first was 9/11.

All I wanted to do was rush to the school and take her home with me. However, in the interest of safety for the entire student body, no one was being let out or let in. I waited impatiently for an update. Constantly checking the schools website and watching the news. Finally, an hour later my daughter called. Everything was over. No gun was found and the police were going to remain on campus. She was safe and would be home at the regular time. Her little voice never sounded so sweet.

I bought baby gates, outlet caps, knee pads...all the things parents do to protect their children. But, how do you protect them from this? Some people would say, "That's why I homeschool!" That's all well and good, but eventually they will go out into the world. Last week's mall shooting proves that keeping children at home instead of sending them to a public school isn't going to keep them any safer. Last year there were two guys driving around Phoenix randomly shooting people because they were bored.

A kid brought a gun to my school when I was a sophomore in high school. It was a Wednesday and I was in third period and the bell didn't ring when the class was over. Ten minutes passed before someone came into the class to tell my teacher to keep us inside and to lock the door. Unfortunately, there was nothing we could do about the wall of windows that faced the other building. That's where this kid was. Holding his French class hostage. He even played Russian roulette with some of the kids in the class. Eventually, he surrendered to the SWAT team. He said in his statement that he was mad because no one had come to his party the night before. He's still in prison last I heard.

So, what's the purpose of this post? My purpose is this: Do all that you can to not only protect your children, but to prepare them for where ever life may take them. Give them to tools and skills to ensure their own safety and well-being. Don't ever miss a chance to hug them and kiss them no matter how much they may struggle (especially the teenagers). Tell them you love them. Then tell them again.

Babycakes...Mama and Daddy love you to all our hearts. You are our only need.

No comments: