Thursday, April 26, 2007

She humbles me

My daughter is 13. She's tall, skinny, independant and thinks I'm the most uncool person on the planet. My very presence with her in public can make her run and hide behind a display of 10 for $1 items, lest someone realizes that *gasp*...she has a mother. yikes.

A storm system moved in last night, so this morning was overcast and cold. I went into her bedroom to make sure she was awake and I heard her ask, "Mommy, will you cuddle me for a minute?"

My heart melted.

For five (yes, FIVE) whole minutes this morning I got to cuddle with my "baby" and remember what it felt like, as a new mother, to hold this child in my arms. I miss that I can't pick her up anymore.

Being a mother has not only taught me great love, patience and not to freak out when someone throws up on you...it's taught me humility. She is the reason I'm alive and I thank God for everyday I have with her.

Of course, when I dropped her off at school this morning and said, "Bye, have a good day!", she replied...

"Mom! Don't talk to me when there are people around!"

Did I mention that she's really good at being 13?

No comments: